Who would have thought that the oldest surviving building in Johannesburg sit slap bang in the middle of Randburg!
Randburg was originally divided in four farms Klipfontein, Driefontein, Olievenhoutspoort, and Boskop. These farms were then subdivided amongst the sons of the early settlers. A portion of the farm Boskop was bought by Rand entrepreneur John Dale Lace on which the house of former owners the Labuschagnes was built in 1860. Dale Lace and his wife converted the original homestead into their country residence and named it Hy-Many House (Meaning “The Home of the Kelly’s”).
Sadly this old Johannesburg Grande Dame has fallen victim to inevitable development and is today surrounded townhouses and complexes. She has however been lovingly restored and sports some of the oldest Jacaranda trees in Gauteng in her garden.
We love the roof!